Traveling by bike gives you the chance to see parts of the world that you may miss if you traveled by car. You can get off the beaten track and see areas of such beauty that you will want to find more. Add to that the fact that riding is a lot healthier than driving, and providing you find the right bike, you will be on to a winner.
A bike will be less expensive than a car to buy, to run and to insure. If you want to be able to have all the freedom you need there is no need to spend more than $1000. There are many to choose from all will have pros and cons so all you have to do is decide what is most important to you. Check out the bikes below as all are recommended highly and will set you back less than £1000.
1) Tommaso Imola $599.00
This steel framed bike is ideal for commuting or road cycling. It can be the perfect size for you as it has laser measured frames. Everything is designed for your measurements including the size of the handlebar, the crank arm length and stem length. As all components are made just for this brand there is no risk of being let down by 3rd party parts.
You can also decide what accessories you want on the frame so can add racks, fenders and anything else you want. For a level entry bike, it certainly has its good points.
• A great price for what you will receive
• The aluminium frame makes it light and easy to manoeuvre
• It comes with pedals attached
• It is a stylish Italian bike
• Has custom Tommaso Corsa rims
• There needs to be regular adjustments for shifting
• The saddle is not the most comfortable.
• Would benefit from professional assembly as wheels need to be correctly trued and derailleurs need correctly adjusting.
Despite not costing a great deal this bike is built to last. You will receive a lifetime warranty for the aluminium and 2 years for the components.
2) SAVADECK Carbon Road Bike, Warwinds3.0 700C $849.00
This bike has a Toray T800 carbon fibre frame plus seat post. Weighing just 9.8 kg it is light and yet strong enough for a comfortable ride. Changing gears when in motion is not a problem as there are Shimona Sora 2*9 speeds with a shifter lever. The front and rear derailleurs ensure that the entire ride is smooth.
The seat tube stays and seat posts have been aerodynamically contoured. Handling is aided as a result of torsion rigidity thanks to the tapered head tube. You will normally receive the bike fully built and it doesn’t matter if you are a beginner or experienced rider, you will be pleased with the performance of this bike.
As with all bikes there will features and functions that particularly please or displease riders. When it comes to the Avadeck carbon road bike you should check out the pros and cons before proceeding.
• Shifters – there are 18 speed variations and changing while watching the road will soon be second nature
• Brakes are very reliable
• The best bike there is for the price you will pay
• Stylish to look at
• Comfort – regardless of the ride, you will dismount safely knowing that you are not going to be in any type of pain.
• It was not possible to find anything about the bike that would be classed as a con other than the price. It will be out of the price range of some biking enthusiasts.
3) Eurobike Bikes EURXC550 21 Speed Road Bike $329.00
Made from durable steel, the EurXC550 has many features that will be appreciated when you are out on the road. The handlebar ensures that you will be comfortable throughout the journey and comfort is again considered when it comes to the seat post which has been ergonomically designed. The seat can also be adjusted to ensure total comfort.
It is a 21-speed gear bike and the shifters are quick making sure that you can quickly get from place to place. Derailleurs are different with the front having an upward pull via the Shimanto TZ30 and the rear one is a Shimanto TZ50.
Brakes are duel disc and this means that there is additional power when the weather is poor. The tires – 700 x 28c – provide safety as they make sure there is plenty of grip on the road. Weighing just 31.5lbs it is able to take the weight of a rider of 300llbs. Height should not be an issue when riding this bike as it is considered suitable for anyone ranging from 5’3” to 6’.
• Frame comes with a lifetime guarantee
• Design considered to be attractive by many users
• Easy to assemble
• Materials are good quality
• Guarantee for components is only 12 months
• Crank wheel could be bigger
• It is heavier than a lot of similar road bikes
4) RALEIGH Bikes Willard 1 Gravel Adventure Road Bike $849.99
The bike comes with a smooth lightweight aluminum frame. It is suitable for people over 6 foot and there is a guide as to which sized frame to get to ensure it is perfect for your height. There are 16 gears to choose from and the bike is equipped with Shimano Claris 8 speed shifters.
There are TRP mechanical brakes and they do not fade when going downhill. This is combined with excellent traction when ascending and a feeling of stability when going at high speeds. Comfort comes in the shape of the Prologo Kappa Evo saddle.
As you are likely to get caught in rain while out riding the bike it is good to know that there are good brakes included. The Tektro lyra mechanical disc brakes will stop in time even when you are out in the rain. The tires are 700 x 35c and you will feel confident riding them both on smooth roads and when there is gravel around. They are also wide enough to make sure that you are not unseated when traveling over gravel.It seems to be the perfect combination of on road and off-road bike.
• Can be used in all types of weather conditions
• Offers a comfortable ride
• Allows travel on rough and smooth terrain
• There is a lightweight frame
• More expensive than other bikes of the size
• Needs to be assembled and could be difficult if you are inexperienced
5) Schwinn Phocus 1400 and 1600 Drop Bar Road Bicycles for Men and Women $449.00
If you want to have a bike that gets you where you want to go as well as allows you to exercise then this is the bike to look for. The Schwinn Phocus comes in two ranges 1400 and 1600 and the difference is the gears. The 144 has a Shimano 14-speed drivetrain while the 1600 has a Shimano 1600. They both are constructed of an aluminium frame and have a front fork of carbon fiber.
There is no need to worry that if you are exercising and going at speed there will be a problem when you need to stop. There are great brakes – the alloy dual pivot calliper ones made by Promax.
As the heading suggests, this bike is suitable to be used by men and women.
• Great price
• Comfortable ride
• Users have recommended it for beginners
• Good for speed
• There does appear to be a problem when it comes to the warranty
• Flat tires seem to occur a lot as the tubes are only thin
• Could be too big for anyone who was less than 5’8” tall
• There have been some issues with the peddles
• It has to be assembled so could be a problem for less experienced bike users
6) Mercier Aluminum Road Bike Galaxy SC1 Commuter Bike/Racer by Cycles
If you want riding a bike to be a relaxing and comfortable pastime then the Mercier Galaxy SC1 could be the bike that is ideal for you. Riding will be comfortable as the aluminium frame is lightweight and durable as well as ensuring that you ride in a comfortable upright position. The saddle is padded so going across rough areas should not be a problem. You will not need as much stamina to have a good ride as you would with other bikes.
If you are unsure as to the size frame that you should choose, then there is a chart provided so you won’t be stuck trying to reach the pedals. The shifters are made by Shimano and are as smooth as you will find on any bike. There are fewer speeds than there are on other bikes as there are 7, but many riders have found that to be sufficient.
This is a bike that looks good and is easy to look after. While it is possible to put a lot of the bike together yourself, it is recommended that it is take to a professional if you are not experienced. This way you can be sure that it is done correctly.
• Provides a very comfortable ride
• Safe as the brakes are good quality
• You can get the right frame size for your height
• Saddle is padded
• Not as many speeds as other bikes
• Noises have been heard when using lower handlebars
• Gears can be difficult to adjust
7) Vilano Shadow Road Bike – Shimano STI Integrated Shifters $319.00
It is not often that you can find a road bike that can be used for a variety of purposes. With the Vilano Shadow road bike you get a machine that will be suitable for both beginners and anyone who has got experience. It does not matter if you want to get fit, ride to work or take part in sporting events, you will be fine with this.
There are 14 speeds meaning that when you need to get up hills and inclines there will not be a problem. You will also find riding on the flat just as comfortable. When you need to shift or brake then the controls are literally just at your fingertips. The tires are 700 x 25c and the rims are 700 double walled.
The bike is easy to assemble at home, but it may be worth a trip to a professional just to make sure everything is carried out correctly. Weighing 32 lbs it is one of the heavier bikes but it is still easy to ride and does not feel clumsy.
• Feels safe and solid
• Cheaper parts are very easy to upgrade
• Parts are good quality considering the price
• Performs well when compared to more expensive models
• Not enough information is provided for assembly
• Broken derailleur can be hard to replace
• Front tire has a short fitting
• More experienced riders consider it just for beginners
It is clear that there are a lot of road bikes out there and all will come with their own perfect features and their own downfalls. When choosing, it will be better to do more than just read a few reviews. Before looking for a bike, decide what is important. Is it the price, is it the size or is it how it looks? Whatever it is, it is quite likely that there will not be one model that is exactly what you want. It may be the most basic model, or one with a number of accessories – it all depends on your lifestyle.
As a result, you may need to think again and decide what the most important feature is for you. Many bikes that are classed as entry level will have high quality, well-known branded parts and many of the qualities that you want. If you get the chance to ride a bike before purchasing, then take the opportunity. Nothing can replace actually getting a feel of the product.Also consider the weather conditions. You want to be safe when riding. Good brakes and good wheels are a must whatever price you decide to pay.
If you want to learn more about this topic, go and check out some reviews on biketestreviews.com.