Are you looking to take cycling as your favorite hobby? As you are only a beginner, you need a bike that could support your inexperience with the roads. Your first bike should be user-friendly, inexpensive to buy, and easy to find spare parts for. It should be a bicycle that you will live to remember.
Also by getting a proper road bike for a novice, you will reduce your odds of having an accident on the roads. If you get a bike that suits your level of experience and style, you can quickly improve your cycling abilities. Before you know it, you will be participating in bike racing and tougher pursuits.
The question is: how can you select the best beginner road bike? As a novice, you obviously know very little about bikes and their components. So you need either a fully assembled or a partly assembled bike.
The most common options online are partly assembled bikes that come with detailed instructions guides on how to assemble the remaining bike parts. Another thing to focus on is your height and inseam. Without proper measurements for these two, you can easily pick the wrong bike and waste your time and money.
The bike can turn out too small or big for your height. You want to make the right choice the first time you try and here is a guide to help you. It contains the best road bikes for beginners.
Recommended Best Entry Level Road Bikes
When you are choosing a bike, you need to be extra careful so that you do not end up regretting your purchase.
For you to be sure that you are getting the best bike, I have provided you with some road bikes and mountain bike reviews that you can check.
1. Outroad Road Bike Mountain Bike 700c 21 Speed 26 inch Commuter Bicycle (Black, Blue, Silver)
This is a great beginner bike that can team up as a road bike and a mountain bike. Buying it means you can use it for a longer duration and in more difficult cyclists’ activities. It is a durable and rigid bike with an alloy frame that guarantees top riding experiences. Offering 21 speeds, this bike is one of the easiest to handle when it comes to switching gears quickly with your fingers tips.
It allows quick gear selection and switching no matter the terrain. The 26-inch rims are not only stylish but also extra lightweight and durable. The handlebar boasts an ergonomic design to ensure that you are safe when using it while the tire is anti-slip and can resist wear and tear. The Outroad Road Bike Mountain bike is one of the easiest to assemble as all the tools and instructions are provided. This is also the easiest road bike to maintain even if you are just a beginner.
2. Mongoose Title 24 BMX Race Bike for Beginner or Returning Riders
Get the Mongoose Title 24 BMX Race Bike because it suits a beginner or a former cyclist. Made with your small cycling skills in mind, this bike is ideal for sports. If you are at least 5’7’’ or taller, this bike is even a better pick for you.
As it has a tectonic T1 aluminum frame, the bike is lightweight and easy to handle. It comes with an integrated headset and an internal cable routing for extra protection.
Its drivetrain has 175mm, 3-piece tubular chromoly cranks with a euro cartridge bottom bracket and a 42T chain-ring. The wheelset consists of Arisun XLR8 24-inch tires that are fixed on Xposure aluminum double-wall rims.
The sturdy rims come with aluminum ball bearing from the hub and 18Tcog freewheel rear hub. Using alloy V-brake and brake levers, the bike is quick and easy to stop.
The Hi-Ten steel handlebar is not only convenient but also long-lasting. The bike’s fork as well as the handlebar is attached by a 48mm stem and a sealed bearing headset. Thus, it offers the best steering experience and for a small price, you can have it.
Find out more about Mongoose bikes in our review.
3. Schwinn Phocus 1600 Drop Bar Road Bike For Women
The Schwinn Phocus 1600 drop bar road bike is an ideal everyday use bicycle for women. There are two selections. One is a 41cm small frame bike with a light blue color. The other one is a 56 cm large frame bike with black color. This Phocus bike features a lightweight aluminum frame; so, it is portable and easy to handle.
Even if you want to ride your bike on bumpy terrains it will offer a smooth ride, thanks to the carbon fiber front fork. The Schwinn Phocus 1600 road bike rides on Kendra K-196 700x23C tires. It has a dual suspension too, ensuring properly cushioned and comfy rides on any terrain.
Offering 16-speed Microshift shifters, this bike gives you total control when cycling. If necessary, you can increase or decrease the height of the handlebars and seat. They can also be easily tilted to suit your comfort level when riding your bike. This Schwinn bike uses Promax alloy dual pivot caliper brakes.
These provide instant halting power. The high profile alloy double-wall rims with matching spokes are designed to offer good traction when riding under a rocky terrain. This bike requires minor assembling, costs less and suits the beginner’s ineptness.
4. GMC Denali, 25” 700c Men’s Road Bike
If you need a high-performance beginner bike, then select the GMC Denali 700C Road bike. It weighs only 30 pounds and has a lightweight 6061 aluminum frame. So it is one of the easiest bikes to handle as a novice rider.
It uses the Shimano derailleur and Shimano Revo 21-speeds shifters. This guarantees an easy transition from one gear to the other while holding the handlebar.
This bike has premium quality 700C tires that could safely glide over any road surfaces without losing their quality. Built for top performance and efficiency, the GMC Denali bike has sturdy wheels with 36 alloy spoke rims.
It is stopped with alloy side pull brake caliper and levers. This bike will prove useful to you during your long rides as the padded Vitesse saddle has an attached water bottle holder. For a cheap price, you can get this bike and enjoy cycling as a beginner.
5. Vilano Diverse 3.0 Hybrid Performance Hybrid Road Bike
This high-performance bike boasts excellent quality and a cheap price. It comes with a lightweight 6061 aluminum frame with an attached hybrid fork for absorbing shock. This guarantees a comfortable ride even on rugged surfaces.
Offering vertical handlebars, this bike is easy to control without straining your shoulders and the entire spine. It can be a handy bike if you plan to do a lot of cycling for fun or work.
There are 24-speed levels, running via Shimano derailleurs and shifters. This bike’s mechanical disk brakes allow easier braking even when speeding. Using the 700C Kendra tires with adequate padding, this bike can transverse the countryside without struggling. Featuring a 53-inch and 57-ich frame, this Vilano Diverse 3.0 bike can be used by people of different heights.
6. Giordano Libero 1.6 Road Bike For Men
This is an Italian bike that can offer you exceptional performance and good value for your money. It is inexpensive and can be the best for a novice cyclist. Giordano Libero 1.6 bike features a handcrafted frame that is stronger and stylish. It makes a great everyday use bike and a racing bike.
Offering quick-release alloy rims with a high, 32-spoke profile, this bike is easy to troubleshoot in case it develops a small problem. It uses a Shimano drivetrain with 16-speed levels and Shimano STI technology, giving the cyclist a more accurate gear control.
Additionally, you can effortlessly change gears as you ride across rougher terrains or when climbing up or down a hill. You can pick between two colors and enjoy your relatively lightweight bike. An 11/8-inch stem boasts a threadless design that adds durability to the bike while boosting its overall performance.
It comes with two water bottle holders that can be handy during a tough bike race. While it might need a little fine-tuning to offer top-level performance, the Giordano Libero bike is within the acceptable standards for a novice cyclist.
7. Vilano Shadow Road Bike with Shimano STI Integrated Shifters
This is a perfect beginner cyclist’s bike. It will withstand daily abuse during training and improve your body’s fitness level. Whether you will be using it for sprint triathlons, daily commute, or sightseeing, this road bike has it all.
Its wheelset entails 700c double-walled CNC machined side while the braking system includes a dual pivot alloy caliper with Shimano STI Integrated brake shifters.
These offer accurate braking and convenient gear shifting while on the road. Featuring a 6061 double-butted aluminum Aero frame, including an integrated headset, the bike is lightweight and easy to maneuver.
The fork is 700c 1-1/8inch threadless while the pedals are offered for free. With its 14-speed levels, this bike can conquer hilly roads, flat roads and other difficult terrains. This road bike is speedy, cheap, versatile, and ideal for beginners.
8. Giordano Aversa Aluminum Road Bike, Women’s
This is a suitable entry-level bike for ladies. It has a feminine blue color and a small frame. The bike boasts a 6061 aluminum frame, ensuring that it weighs less and is easy to maneuver. Offering 14-speeds Shimano Equipped Drivetrain, the Giordano Aversa bike for women allows easier gear shifting and accurate speed control.
The alloy rims are sturdy and have a 32-hole double wall with a thickness of 40mm. As for the braking system, it is made up of alloy dual-pivot brakes. This small frame bike makes a great gift for a female in your life.
9. Schwinn Volare 1400 Road Bike, Fitness Bicycle, 53cm/Medium Frame Size
Offering a 53 centimeters medium frame, the Schwinn Volare 1400 Road Bike is the best beginner bike for men. Though made of aluminium, the frame and the fork are rigid and ideal for men’s fitness. The handlebar and sport riding seat has a flat style while the wheels, brakes and crank are made of a robust alloy and equipped with the popular Shimano parts.
This road bike offers 14 speeds and all are easier to regulate, thanks to the Shimano rear derailleur and shifter brake lever combo. This combo is just what you need for smooth shifting and comfortable rides.
The alloy linear-pull brakes are found on the front and the rear parts, permitting quick braking no matter your riding speed. As you get a limited lifetime warranty, you can feel safe all through the years you will own this Schwinn bike.
10. Eurobike Road Bike 700C
As a novice bike rider, you can take a look at the Eurobike Road Bike 700C now and decide if it is a good choice for you. Featuring a 54 centimeters frame, this bike is suitable for people of different heights. The wheels are made of an aluminium alloy and a magnesium alloy, enabling you to pick the bike with the wheels you prefer.
The Eurobike Road Bike 700c offers 21 speeds, allowing the user to switch speeds more smoothly and quickly. An easily adaptable bike, the Eurobike road bike has 700C wheels plus front and rear dual disc brakes for the easier stoppage.
There is a thorough after-sales service that is designed to help you shop confidently. As the bike is within a cheap price range and is useful, you should consider buying it for you or someone else.
11. Takara Kabuto Single Speed Road Bike
This road bike has a blue color and is available in both small and medium frames. It is a single-speed commuter road bike that could meet the needs of any novice bike rider. For fixed gear or freewheel, you have the rear Flip Flop Hub and alloy rims with an alloy hub. The bike uses alloy side pulls brakes that produce a powerful braking force.
The Tig-welded steel frame and fork are both long-lasting and dependable. Regarding assembling, it’s relatively easy even without prior experience. You only need some practical wrenches.
Maintenance of the bike is not too difficulty either, although you might need some help as it gets older. Though it is not the leading beginner bike, the Takara Kabuto is a speedy bike with an attractive price.
12. Vilano R2 Commuter Aluminum Road Bike
Looking for the best road bike can be traumatizing. If you are buying your first road bike, you need to be careful enough with the models that you select so that you can have the best product.
For those who are looking for a money-conscious road bike, the Vilano R2 Commuter Aluminum Road is the best beginner road bike to purchase.
6061 Double Butted Aluminum Frame
The frame of a bike plays a significant role in the durability and overall performance of the bike. If you have a bike with poor frame construction, it is most likely to break when heavy users use it. This model is designed with a lightweight and durable aluminum frame that makes riding fun and exciting.
Shimano 21 Speed Drivetrain
It doesn’t matter the riding terrain that you will subject your bike, you will always experience a smooth ride. This is a best entry level road bike that is designed to handle any situation, thanks to the Shimano 21 speed drivetrain.
Water Bottle Mount
If you want to carry some water with you or any other favorite drink, the bike has a water bottle holder where you can keep the water. The water bottle mount is perfectly located on the bike for easy access when you need to drink some water.
700c Double Walled Alloy Wheels
The wheelset of this bike is of quality. You can always depend on this bike for a smooth and comfortable ride every time you are on the road.
13. Giordano Libero Acciao Road Bike
Are you looking for a mid-range road bike with excellent features and outstanding performance? We know this is what most road bike riders would look forward to.
The Giordano Libero Acciao Road Bike is a perfect purchase for riders who want to enjoy riding a road bike at a pocket-friendly price.
Perfect for Large Riders
Most of the bikes are designed in such a way that they do not fit large riders comfortably. Fortunately, this road bike is designed to accommodate riders from 6 feet 2 inches to 6 feet 5 inches. You can expect nothing but an enjoyable and memorable ride with this road bike.
Steel Frame and Fork
When you are buying a road bike, it is crucial to consider the frame construction. This road bike comes with a perfectly built steel frame for durability.
Water Bottle Mount
Sometimes it can get extremely sunny such that you cannot ride for long hours because of hydration and much sweating. The water bottle mount included on this bike makes it easy for you to carry water to give your body the necessary fuel for long distance riding.
Variety of Sizes
Another top quality thing with this bike is the availability of different sizes. It is available in large, medium and small sizes making it easy for users to get a convenient bike size.
14. Vilano Shadow Road Bike – Shimano STI Integrated Shifters Review
Everybody looks forward to a convenient bike with a good looking design and other top quality features. The truth is getting such a bike with a combination of all those features can be difficult.
You do not have to spend your entire time looking for such a bike. The Vilano Shadow Road Bike is a perfect bike that offers you with all those factors and even much more. Let us check some of the best things that make this road bike worth your valuable money.
6061 Double Butted Aluminum Aero Frame
The durable aluminum frame of this bike makes it lightweight hence giving the user an easy time riding. Not only is this frame lightweight but also very strong to accommodate all types of riders.
Being in control of your bike is among the best things that a rider can enjoy when riding. You do not want to mess up on the road and be a victim of bike accidents. In that case, this bike comes with integrated brake lever and shifters that offer you easy control and shifting on the road.
The bike boasts of 700 Doubled walled CNC machined side wheels that offer a nice traction on the road. With such wheels, you can be sure that no breakdown is likely to occur in the course of your ride.
Another advantage that riders will enjoy when they purchase this Vilano Shadow Road Bike is the free pedals that are included.
15. Vilano Aluminum Road Bike 21 Speed Shimano
Everybody looks forward to the best bike with durable components and quality construction, right? Owning such a bike can be troublesome if you do not do your research pretty well.
If you want to get an affordable bike for commuting, exercise or group biking, the Vilano Aluminum Road Bike will suit all those purposes well. This bike comes with incredible features which include the following:
Double Butted Aluminum Frame
One of the main reasons why this bike is made with aluminum material is because it is lightweight and highly durable. This translates to comfortable riding for anybody using this bike.
Urban Comfort Handlebars
For most people, they do not consider the quality of handlebars in a bike. This should not be the case, get a quality bike like this model with comfortable handlebars that offer the rider with a nice grip for easy riding.
The wheels of the bike are designed with strength in mind. Even when you are riding on hard or tough terrains, you can be sure of getting a comfortable ride.
Color and Size Availability
For those riders who prefer bikes with different colors, you can easily get a color of your choice. On top of that, different sizes are also available to meet the needs of different users.
16. Diamondback Bicycles 2015 Haanjo Alternative Road Bike Review
There are so many factors that determine the type of bike that you need to buy. One of the major things that contribute to your final decision is the riding surface. Do you want a bike that you can use to ride across the city or do you want a bike that can be subjected to off-road abuse?
Making the right decision can be difficult and most individuals do not have the ability to buy two types of different bikes. If you want an easy bike that you can use partly as a mountain bike and partly as a road bike, get the Diamondback Bicycles 2015 Haanjo Alternative Road Bike.
Aluminum Alloy Frame
The frame of this bike is incredibly designed to provide the user with both strength and durability. This bike has a nice design that contributes to comfortable rides always.
Gravel Disc Alloy Fork
This is also another outstanding this about this bike that gives you steering precision. You will always be in control of your bike when on the road.
For you to enjoy comfortable moments on the road, you need to ensure that you are riding in the best position. This is why this bike is designed with flat handlebars to provide you with a better upright position.
Things To Consider When Buying Best Beginner Road Bikes
Choosing the best bikes can be tricky and confusing. For you to ensure that you are on the right track, read the following considerations that will help you select the best bike on the market.
1. Type of Riding
This is a vital factor to look at when you are buying a bike. Are you looking forward to riding on flat or paved roads?
Do you want to ride on rugged surfaces? Once you have identified the type of riding surface that you need, getting the right bike will be easy.
Another top important factor that you should also put in your mind is the quality of brakes in a bike.
A great bike should provide you with sure and reliable stopping power such that it will be easy to over any obstacles that you may face when riding at a high speed.
3. Seat Comfort
In most of the bikes that you will find, they feature very poor sets making it very uncomfortable to ride over long distances.
Always choose a bike that is designed with a comfortable saddle so that you can enjoy riding even for more hours without straining any part of your body.
Different bikes also come with different handlebar styles. A bike that is designed with high-rise handlebars makes it easy for you to sit in an upright posture.
Again, drop handlebars that are common on most mountain and road bikes provide a fully bent position. It all depends on what the rider finds comfortable and convenient. You can go for any handlebar design as long as you are enjoying your ride.
- Look at the shifters of the bike
- The constriction of the frame
- Presence of accessories such as helmets to prevent accidents
- Consider the size of the wheels
As a novice cyclist, you should get a bike you can maneuver easily and troubleshoot by yourself when there is a problem.
Most of the bikes listed above cost below $500 and make the best entry-level choices when it comes to handling and maintenance. They are usable on most terrains and can still be supportive later on when your bike riding skills improve.
Take a look at some other models available on today’s market:
- 【High Quality Frame】Eurobike Road Bike XC550 Using high quality thick tube high-carbon steel 49/54cm frame and fork to provide you with a safer riding experience, it...
- 【21-speed Shifting】The road bicycle is equipped with high-quality shift levers and front and rear derailleurs allowing you to easily adapt to various road conditions...
- 【3-spoke /32 Spoke wheels and 700Cx28C standard tires】700C bike can reduce drag when riding on flat roads, gravel road, city road or other terrain.
- 【Front and rear disc brakes】Bicycle can provide you with stopping effect in all kinds of road conditions, and braking is simple and easy.
- 【Size Guide】54cm road bike is suitable for adults riders between 5'8" and 6'1. 49cm road bike is suitable for adults between 5'5" and 5'7". Please check the size...
- 27.5 Inch Adult folding bike frame is made of high-carbon steel,it is sturdy and durable, which can makes your cycling more safety.
- Folding mountain bike front fork and rear shock with suspension effect can reduce the bumps caused by the rugged road during riding.
- Bicycle with 21-speed reliable shifting system, the speed can be selected according to different road conditions
- Mechanical dual disc brakes can provide better braking effect than other brakes in downhill sections or muddy water roads, the braking force is large, which increases the...
- EASY TO ASSEMBLE: Bicycle arrive with 85% assembled, you only need put together 4 parts and air up the tire
- 【Lightweight Durability】HILAND DARING Road bike has a high quality ultralight aluminum frame and an internal wire design. Great for paved areas, including road trips...
- 【Shift Gears Smoothly】Shimano 21-speed shifter combo with brake lever provides quick gear changes. Double wall aluminium rims gives strong tensile force so you can...
- 【Precision Speed Control】Front and rear caliper brakes deliver for superior stopping power and speed control that you can ride relieved in a variety of conditions.
- 【Assembly Guide】Hiland road bike is 85% pre-assembled and easy to assemble within 25 minutes. The delivery box include free installation tools and pedals WITHOUT...
- 【Size Guide & Warranty】Size Small for people between 5'3" & 5'6", Size Medium for people between 5'6" & 6', Size Large for people between 6’ & 6'4". CHECK THE SIZE...
- Eurobike Road Bike XC550 with 54cm frame,Dual Disc Brake and 21 Speed Shifting system,it is a great bike for unisex Adult riders between 5'8" and 6'1",please check the...
- 【Disc Brake】Road bicycle designed with dual disc brake,it provided great stopping effect and ensure you to brakes for safety at any weather conditions
- 【21 Speed gear】Mens Road Bike with smoothed 21 speed shifting and it can make your cycling more easy.
- 【700Cx28C Standard tire】 700C double wall aluminum rim with the 3 spokes making the wheel stronger and more stable
- 【 Drop-off handlebar】Choose different grip positions to adapt to different road conditions can eliminate the fatigue of the wrists, shoulders and neck caused by...
- Equipped with Schwinn road-tuned N LITENED GOLD triple-butted aluminum road frame and aluminum fork, this bike is designed to provide performance road geometry for expert...
- Shimano AO70 14 speed STI shift/brake levers with Shimano front and rear derailleurs provide seamless gear changes
- Promax aluminum caliper brakes deliver precision stopping power. Alex X2200 double-wall rims with Schwinn aluminum road hubs Alex X2200 double-wall rims with Schwinn...
- Schwinn sport saddle and performance bar tape provide comfort on each and every ride.
- 700c wheel size fits adult riders 5'4" to 6'2" in height. Includes a limited lifetime for as long as you own the bike
- High tensile steel frame & fork
- Shimano 21-speed stem shifters
- Alloy double wall 36 hole rims, 25mm Width tires
- Single Pivot alloy brakes
- YOU DON’T NEED TO SPEND MORE: Because Tommaso is a direct to the consumer brand you can now get a bike with 100% Shimano gears, super lightweight aluminum frame, and...
- THE IMOLA IS AFFORDABLE PERFORMANCE, NOT ENTRY LEVEL: If you are just getting into cycling or returning after a long hiatus, this is your bike. New and returning cyclists...
- YOU DESERVE A COMFORTABLE RIDE: Our compact frame geometry offers a more relaxed position for all riding styles, with a shallow handlebar drop so that you can still be...
- BUILT TO LAST: All too often things are made cheaply and break before their time. We believe that bikes should be reliable and built to last. This is why we use premium...