Whether you are a conventional cyclist or a Sunday athlete, the best bike computers will consistently spare you the perfect connection with your bicycle.
Bike computers or cyclometers customize your rides by cumulating your riding history to compare your performance along with displaying speed, time, distance, cadence, heart rate, etc.
This wireless device drags satellite data for uninterrupted navigation, enabling you to track down unknown places to ramble around.
Pair your smartphone with it and see how the setup becomes more natural with your phone apps. Moreover, the bright, sharp screens are legible enough, even on a sunny day, when you pedal on a rugged surface.
However, don’t let the brands overcome you with their saucy ads, as you will end up robbing your bank. Here, I will enrich you with all the necessary information and a list of the best bike computers to make you decide independently without any influence from others.
Best GPS Bike Computer Comparison Table
Best Bike Computers Reviews
1. Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt GPS Bike Computer
Wahoo has been a market leader in bike computer technology since 2009, and it has managed to double its fame with the first fully aerodynamic ELEMENT Bolt GPS bike computer. Special attention is paid to its excellent price-performance ratio.
Pairing the Element Bolt computer with a smartphone or cycling sensors is effortless, whereas it offers easy setup and customization with Wahoo’s free app. This app consists of 170 data field options to select from and enables you to upload routes to the device via WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0, or ANT+. It provides on-screen notifications for calls, texts, emails, and connects sensors such as heart rate.
The 2.2-inch black and white display is not a touchscreen; thus, it arrives with painless buttons to use with gloves on.
Like any other best GPS bike computer, Wahoo has equipped its Element Bolt with preloaded maps and details of almost every country.
For routing, it offers GPS or Komoot and integrates automatically with Strava Live Segments to give you accurate progress status along with the final push to beat your goals.
The alluring part is its USB rechargeable battery with up to 15 hours of battery life.
2. Garmin Edge 530, Performance GPS Cycling/Bike Computer with Mapping, Dynamic Performance Monitoring and Popularity Routing
Garmin has adorned its Edge 530 computer with all the excellent attributes that defuse any other rival brand from coming into the spotlight. It has proven to be a substantial bump in its performance.
It will satisfy any devil-may-care rider with its latest feature ‘Climbpro, ‘ which is responsive enough to warn you from forthcoming limbs in advance and count your jump distance or hanging time. Moreover, it carries out FTP training and prompts nutrition or hydration alerts depending on weather conditions.
Garmin has strikingly boosted its mapping and navigational capability to make it run like the wind in any region of the world. However, the navigation perspective is different between Edge 530 and Edge 830/1038 as the former doesn’t support POI’s (point of interest, such as hotels).
Additionally, Edge 530 is more like Edge 520 as both lack touchscreen, unlike their other siblings.
The PIN-protected bike alarm will alert you on your smartphone, spotting your bike’s movements without your concern. It also sends your location to emergency contacts with its incident detection system.
In a word, it has adequate connectivity, widgets, IQ store connection, prolonged battery life, and more other features that we can receive only from the best bike computers with GPS.
3. Garmin Edge 1030, 3.5″ GPS Cycling/Bike Computer with Navigation and Connected Features
The Garmin Edge 1030 is the benchmark among other Garmin bike computers for its extensive mapping, GPS accuracy, fitness tracking, data analysis, pause-route or re-route options, and more.
The navigation system has hit the nail on the head with its preloaded detailed maps and the ability to search POIs. You can pedal your bike at ease with its gradual instructions and alerts for any abrupt curves.
The 3.5-inch display is the apogee as no other best GPS bike computer has ever come up with this big screen. Consider jumping up the range as the Edge 1030 is not an inexpensive bike computer.
Other comprehensive qualities that replaced Edge 1000 from the line include smart connectivity through phone calls or texts via the device, preloaded Strava live segments, monitoring the speed, distance, time, power, altitude, etc. It has WiFi connectivity, ANT+, and Bluetooth for external sensors.
All-inclusive Edge 1080 offers all high-caliber features money can buy.
4. Garmin Edge 830, Performance GPS Cycling/Bike Computer with Mapping, Dynamic Performance Monitoring and Popularity Routing
Garmin is the biggest name in the technology world, which has upgraded its Edge 800 computer series to Edge 830 with an excellent design and a revamped touchscreen.
Edge 830 has jiggled the bugs from its system and furnished itself with sensor bundles such as heart rate monitor, hydration/nutrition tracking, speed sensor, and cadence sensor. The bumper buttons have a more tactile feel on the top of the device than on the bottom, where they can be challenging to reach.
The setup process can be done using your phone and Garmin Connect or just on the device directly like other best cycling computers, and it is compatible with Bluetooth and WiFi. It gives you granular details, including Vo2 Max and weather tips.
You can attach the Garmin integrated battery pack to the Edge and enjoy about 20 hours of performance, depending on how you’re using it. Besides, battery save mode might be able to double the life up to 40 hours.
Edge 830 is well-suited for a data geek who admires playing with different software. But non-techies might feel a bit troubled as it is slightly stretched in its apps and might crash every once in a while.
5. Garmin Edge 130, Compact and Easy-to-use GPS Cycling/Bike Computer
The Garmin Edge 130 is a scaled-down version of the Garmin Edge 1030, though it is brawnier than its small size might suggest.
Despite its dinky size, the black and white display is sharp and crisp, even in direct sunlight. It has added plastic buttons instead of the touchscreen, which has removed Garmin’s buggy software.
Admittedly, it is capable of limited navigational assistance using GPS, GLONASS, and Galileo satellites and tracks how fast, how far, and how high you’ve ridden. However, it will show a line on a blank screen if you load in a course. At the same time, the diminutive 1.8-inch screen hinders the view of the whole route.
All the best bike computers for road bikes can pair with ANT+ and Bluetooth accessories such as cadence sensors, heart rate monitors, power meters, Strava live segments, etc. and Edge 130 is no different. The inclusion of a Barometric altimeter helps you hunt your ascents, descents, and total elevation changes.
6. CAT EYE, Strada Wireless Bike Computer
CAT EYE is continuously leading the industry with its product, and Strada wireless bike computer is its grand iteration. You can switch among eight modes by pressing the bottom computer face while your current speed will always appear at the top of the display.
Strada has arrived with a tool-free wheel sensor which stands securely to any road or mountain bikes.
One of the best bike computer features is the manual odometer setting option, which lets you program your heard-earned mileage back into the computer after a battery change.
If you are a crazy explorer, you would appreciate its power-saving mode and extended battery life to run extra miles. One mortification to be mentioned is the wireless range, which is only 60cm; thus, it might not allow you to fit the sensor on the rear wheel.
Running through its other features comprises easy setup, water-resistant body, speed detection, auto start/stop, low profile bracket, and customizable display.
7. CAT EYE, Velo 9 Wired Bike Computer
CAT EYE, VELO 9 Bike Computer, is a classic redesign, embracing prime features of the best road bike computers. With a sleek, compact exterior, it provides super easy installation with pre-programmed tire sizes. Additionally, it gives the ability to blend with any bikes aesthetics while permitting you to clear-cut data readings.
The larger black and white screen- can be a little fubsy at times- is easy-breezy to read and operate. The auto power-saving mode and the auto start/stop functionality support stretching the life of its lithium battery.
Considering a gym freaks requirement, it doesn’t fail to show the calorie consumption while the carbon off-set measurement tracks how much of a difference you are making. It also stores your trip distance, elapsed time, current, average, and max speed measurements. The countdown of time and average speed will pause when you stop riding.
In a nutshell, Velo 9’s features have climbed to such an extent to compete with any other best bike computers.
8. CAT EYE, Padrone Wireless Bike Computer
The Cat Eye, padrone’s modest price tag, is not the indicator of its lower quality; in fact, it is a mark of bulk manufacturing overheads. It is a functional wireless computer with a compact structure and a more prominent display (43mm long by 32m wide), 85% larger, and 22% thinner than Cat Eye’s Urban Wireless. So, you can enjoy a painless reading even if your eyesight is not perfect!
Alike the best mountain bike computers, it can fit all handlebars with its Flextight universal mounting bracket. It is a classic companion that is easy to set up, regardless of the cycling you do.
You can simply scroll between different screens and update current speed, total distance, elapsed time, max, and average speed. ClickTec button interface makes navigation smooth and fast. The familiar features include Bluetooth connectivity, cadence sensor to the head unit, auto start/stop, clock, power-saving mode, and ability to upload all your data to your smartphone. You could also track your fitness and upload your status to Strava and TrainingPeaks.
9. CAT EYE, Velo Wireless Bike Computer
Cat Eye, Velo Wireless Bike computer is well built and preserves top-quality to let you reach your goal. It certainly doesn’t come with GPS tracking for your Strava uploads, but it is simple enough to meet your per diem concerns.
The exterior is sturdy enough with high-quality plastic. This slim, lightweight cyclo-computer packs a programmable odometer and the menu screen for comprehensive data options. The speed sensor is compatible with 26″, 27.5″, 29″, 700c tyre sizes.
The screen displays current, max and average speed, trip distance, calorie consumption, clock, and pace arrow. The manual odometer option saves your record even if you change the battery several times. It has a good battery life, which is an excellent characteristic of the best bike speedometers. Moreover, it includes a magnet and zip-tie handlebar mount.
A bit clumsy side is a difficulty to dismount the computer once it is snapped into the bike. You need to push hard every time on the bottom of the device to pop it out of the mount.
10. iGPSPORT Bike Computer GPS Wireless Waterproof 20E Cycling Computer
iGPSPORT claims that its 20E Cycling Computer can catch satellites briskly for exact positioning. Well, the statement is entirely authentic as its tracking power is no less than any other best GPS computer for cyclists. It can even detect how fast, how far, and where you ride.
In a world where the latest computers are persistently receiving new updates to make them even more complicated and extravagant, iGPSPORT Wireless bike computer has remained unchanged and is all the better. The lightweight device needs no setup and can be operated with two buttons. Besides, the bright sunlight can’t take away the high visibility of its screen. As well, the screen automatically turns on/off at the time of sunrise or sunset.
Things To Consider Before Buying The Best GPS Bike Computer
The world of GPS technology is going through a rat race where each manufacturer is trying to climb the ladder of triumph. The companies are striving to find a way by introducing us to their new high-ranking features every other month. All these options are enough for the skilled ones to get off track, let alone the casual cyclists.
The most significant part of the ads is designed to cover only the alluring features of bike computers though the reality is different. You have to dive deep into your requirements before choosing the perfect one among these so-called best bike computers. Organize your required features and determine the money you are eager to spend.
The foremost thing to consider is the navigation and mapping though bike computers can be both with and without the mapping. If you are a casual ‘local grocery’ rider, you don’t need a computer with mapping.
On the contrary, an enthusiast rider with crazy exploring demand should always go for the computer with precise, turn-by-turn navigation. The latter one will let you input a destination directly to process the best possible route. Even you can design and upload your course with brand software.
The most basic bike computers can inform you about how fast you are going (speed), how far you have gone (distance), and how long you have been riding (trip time).
For a competitive cyclist, computer display is a significant concern. A large screen gives a satisfactory view; however, it might be a little hefty on your handlebar. You can even choose between black and white or color display. Both are sharp and crisp, while the colored one is more intricate.
Screen options may be fixed or customized. Simultaneously, the data can be restricted to a single page or several pages (you can scroll through with the push of a button). Bike computers come both with buttons or touchscreen. Buttons are more convenient in case you are wearing gloves.
The advanced GPS bike computers use Bluetooth or ANT+ to connect with smartphones and power meters simultaneously, displaying incoming calls, texts, email alerts, and music control. Bluetooth is essential if you want to join the computer with your mobile. In contrast, ANT+ revives communication between power meters, cadence, speed, and heart rate monitors.
Battery life is a vital topic for GPS bike computers; hence they employ rechargeable batteries with a life of 20-25 hours. The non-GPS ones use a CR2032 battery, which can last for years.
You should settle your average riding time to the lengthiest trip and select a GPS bike computer that suggests such battery life.
The backlight is a dominant feature for your readability in the dark. Almost all bike computers have a backlight feature. You should not avoid this feature because you may not need a night ride today, but you could start one in the future.
Additional mounts can position the computer in front of the handlebar. It ensures to spend less time with your eyes averted from the trail when glancing down at the display. Also, you can retain your near-distance focus with the help of this function.
The water-resistance feature of the bike computer is of great benefit as the weather is not often predictable. IPX7 is the standard water resistance rating that can withstand unexpected water exposure of up to one meter for up to 30 minutes.
1. Do I need to buy cadence and speed sensors?
Cadence sensors and speed sensors are not obligatory, but it is beneficial to have them.
Speed sensors can calculate your speed using GPS. But When there is no GPS signal available, it becomes an essential part of your bike.
A cadence sensors can be handy when you are training to a specific cadence. Other than that, you can see how fast your legs are spinning, and that’s all it does.
2. Which type is more accurate?
A GPS bike computer is more accurate and steadfast than a smartphone with a GPS function. If you ask for more options, I would say a magnetic bike computer can be close to a GPS unit to be accurate.
3. Can I sync the bike computer to my smartphone to view my training data?
Yes, you can. But you have to ensure that your bike computer and smartphone both support Bluetooth or WiFi. You will also need to install related apps like Wahoo Element, Lezyne Ally, and Garmin Connect. After syncing, you can operate the basic functions such as texting, checking calls, etc. with your bike computer during rides.
There is no such thing as a perfect bike computer; otherwise, manufacturers have not been burning the candle at both ends to upgrade their products every month. Back in the day, the best bike computers were overly expensive, whereas those are much more affordable nowadays. Does that mean they shrink in quality?
Not at all, these are more reliable and offer more functional features, previously only dreamed of in conventional bike computers. But you don’t need all of those features. Right? By figuring out your preferable features, you can make any bike computer perfect for yourself.
Spending more money can provide you with a top-notch computer, but that’s not always the case, as many high-quality products come at a reasonable price.
I have tried to outline some brilliant products with overall aspects, to assist you through the journey. Now the ball is in your court; you can either compromise your demands or grab your favorite device to turn your wheels towards the unknown.
If these weren’t enough, check out some other picks from Amazon also:
- Note: Packaging has been upgraded, please purchase the extension long front mount separately if you need it.
- SMALL BUT POWERFUL: Using BC107 GPS bike computer, we want to equip riders with high-cost performance electronic solutions that make their rides more reliable and...
- COMPACT AND LIGHTWEIGHT DESIGN: The display size of BC107 wireless cycling computer to 2.3 inches for the compact design, leaving no wasted space whatsoever. Engineered...
- GPS AND BEIDOU POSITIONING: BC107 has 2 modes of global positioning (GPS /GPS&BEIDOU), which can provide accurate GPS data all over the world. After powering on, it will...
- ANT+ SENSOR COMPATIBILITY: Built for both budget and convenience, BC107 maximizes compatibility by working perfectly with ANT+ sensors, such as heart rate monitor, speed...
- 【3 Satellite Positioning Systems 】Built-in GPS with 3 satellites positional systems, include GPS,GLONASS, GALILEO, ensure a stable connection on every ride. 1.8 inch...
- 【ANT+ Sync Sensor and App】Compatible with "ANT+ and Bluetooth sensors, supports heart rate/cadence data recording, you can synced to the APP,bind your STRAVA account...
- 【Waterproof & USB Rechargable】 G+bike computer is IPX7 so that you can enjoy the cycling experience in all weather conditions. ,Equipped with 800MAH rechargeable...
- 【 Support cadence sensor & heart rate monitor】 G+ feature with 15 types of data by 3 pages included speed, mileage, time,gradient,current speed, current cycling time,...
- 【WORRY-FREE USE】1-year warranty for after-sales service. If there is any problem during using, please feel free to contact us, our customer service team will give you...
- Performance GPS cycling computer with mapping and touchscreen
- Dynamic performance monitoring provides insights on your VO2 max, recovery, training balance, heat and altitude acclimation, nutrition, hydration and more when paired...
- MTB dynamics track jump count, jump distance and hang time as well as Grit, a measure of the ride’s difficulty, and Flow, which tracks the smoothness of your descent so...
- Cycling safety features include new bike alarm, group messaging and tracking, assistance and compatibility with Varia rearview radar and lights so you can see and be seen...
- Includes routable Garmin Cycle Map with popularity routing — which helps you ride like a local — plus off-course recalculation and back to start; integrated Trail...
- 【Warm Tips】The latest firmware has undergone bug fix and firmware optimization. We recommend that you connect to the XOSS app after receiving the goods to check...
- 【ONE YEAR WARRANTY】XOSS is committed to providing you with high quality products and a good after-sales experience. Our products come with a one-year warranty, so...
- 【WIRELESS BIKE COMPUTER BUILT-IN HIGH-SENSITIVITY GPS CHIP】 It support 4 kinds of positioning systems. Positioning Fast-Global availability-Automatic Pause Mode: when...
- 【SUPPORTING DATA TRANSMISSION to STRAVA】Upload data to the XOSS APP via Bluetooth and synchronize with Strava the same time. Backlight, key tone, auto pause, unit...
- 【THREE PAGES, NINE KINDS of DATAS】It helps you exercise scientifically: Current speed, Current cycling time, Current cycling distance; Average speed, Altitude, Slope;...
- 【BUILT-IN HIGH-SENSITIVITY GPS CHIP】This bike computer has a bulit-in high sensitivity GPS chip and supports three systems: Beidou, GPS and GLONASS fast global...
- 【MULTI-FUNCTIONS】Small size, light weight, IPX6 waterproof, auto sleep function makes it convenient and durable. This bike speedometer works well to measure speed,...
- 【DAY & NIGHT BACKLIGHT】This advance cycling computer is designed with day & night backlight. Only press the back and right button at the same time to change the...
- 【WIRELESS DESIGN & USB RECHARGEBLE】Unlike traditional wired bike computer, there are no annoying cables, this wireless bike computer is very easy to install. USB...
- 【WORRY-FREE USE】We providing customers with a three-month replacement and one-year warranty from the date of purchase. If there have any questions during using,...
- 【Ideal Bike Computer Set】- This GPS cycling computer set include a CYCPLUS bike computer and a bike front mount, easy to install and use. CYCPLUS handlebar mount can...
- 【Universal Use】 It is compatible with all CYCPLUS wireless bike computers, Garmin Edge 25 200 500 510 520 800 810 1000 1030 GPS computers and other normal models. As...
- 【Dynamic GPS Positioning】- Higher sensitivity, Higher accuracy, Faster positioning. The navigating chip is imported from Switzerland. The GPS signal tracks your...
- 【ANT+ Sync Sensor and App】- It supports simultaneous recording of various data such as speed, cadence, heart rate, power, route traveled, altitude, etc. Strava...
- 【2.9-inch Screen】- The glare-free backlit screen introduces FSTN technology, which is highly visible in sunlight. The LCD screen will light up automatically which...