Electric bikes are becoming more popular than ever. Unlike conventional bikes, electric bikes offer a little boost to make biking much easier, and you’ll get to your destination much faster. Because of this boost, you’ll never be sweaty or exhausted going to work or anywhere you want.
Moreover, if you need an electric bike that offers more balance than regular e-bikes, a fat tire electric bike may be your best option. But when it comes to maintenance, all types of electric bikes are the same.
Maintenance is a crucial practice that’ll help you keep your fat tire electric bike clean, fully functional, and live longer. Also, it doesn’t only maintain its integrity but also prevents potential issues in the future.
If you don’t know how to maintain your fat tire electric bike, you’re on the right page. This content will help you take care of your outdoor buddy properly. You may continue reading the discussion below to learn more.
Cleaning Your Fat Tire Electric Bike
If you’re frequently using your fat tire electric bike, you should prioritize cleaning it every two weeks or every month. By doing so, you’ll be able to extend its lifespan and improve its efficiency.
Here are the simple tips for cleaning your fat tire electric bike effectively:
- Use a low-pressure water hose or a bucket of water and a soft cleaning brush to clean every nook and cranny of your electric bike.
- You may use a cleaning solution specifically made for electric bikes. This is optional, but it can make the cleaning process much easier and more effective.
- Ensure that all connections are safe, including the battery and motor units. This is to prevent any water that may seep in and disrupt the system.
- Make sure the battery is not charging when cleaning your electric bike.
- Charging areas may collect a pile of dirt over time. You may brush it to remove accumulated dust and dirt, but keep it sealed when rinsing the bike.
After washing, use a clean and soft cloth to wipe excess water and dry it off thoroughly. Also, don’t forget to avoid touching the disc brake to prevent contaminating it with any cleaning chemicals.
Moreover, if your electric bike has a battery extender, make sure to disconnect it before cleaning, and don’t forget to clean the connections with a clean soft-bristled brush.
Furthermore, don’t disregard checking if your electric bike has a magnetic speed sensor. Make sure to clean it using a dry and clean cloth to prevent serious problems.
Extending The Battery Life
If you want to extend the life of your battery, here are some helpful tips you might want to follow:
- Keep your cadence at an average revolution of 50 per minute. This will help save your battery even better than biking in lower cadence.
- Keep your electric bike light to reduce the strain that heavy loads are weighing in on your battery.
- Reduce unnecessary stops and brakes.
- Keep your fat tires at the right pressure for a balanced grip and resistance and improved comfortability—more information about this below.
- Observe how much battery you are using through the display bar. This will help you manage and monitor your biking style.
- Avoid using an electric bike under extremely cold conditions to prevent excessive strain on your battery.
With these tips, you’ll be able to save more money efficiently since you don’t have to replace your battery often.
Cleaning The Battery Correctly
Cleaning the battery of an e-bike is simple. First, you need to make sure that it’s not connected or charging, and then use a soft brush and clean cloth to remove any excess dirt.
Furthermore, don’t forget to clean each contact and occasionally apply a light coat of grease. And never use a pressure hose when cleaning your battery.
Charging The Battery Properly
Make sure to charge your battery in a dry location at room temperature. Also, avoid overcharging your battery, and likewise leaving it with no charge at all. This will help you preserve it and extend its shelf life.
In addition, after using your e-bike for several periods, it’s best to disconnect your battery to avoid losing its charge.
Furthermore, avoid temperature extremities when storing your batteries. They don’t want to be exposed to too hot and cold locations. That said, keep them secure in cool, dry areas away from sunlight.
Keeping The Tires In Good Condition
Keeping your tires in good condition is essential to having a smooth biking experience. Also, maintaining your tires properly will prolong their lifespan. With that said, here are some tips you may consider doing in this regard:
- Inflate Your Tires With Appropriate Pressure: To apply the right pressure, you need to determine the maximum pressure your tires can handle. Then, use a tire pressure gauge and check the pressure of the other tire. After that, inflate each tire without going over the pre-determined limit.
- Keep Them Clean: Before every ride, make sure to clean your tires with a rag or a water hose. Also, avoid places with grass, mud, and gravel to prevent excessive wear and tear.
- Replace Your Tires When Necessary: If your tires show signs of wear and tear, don’t hesitate to replace them with a new one to ensure the maximum performance of your electric bike and to prevent accidents.
- Use A Tire Protectant: This is another way to keep your tires good and extend their life longer. When using a tire protectant, make sure to coat all parts, including its treads.
Maintaining The Chains And Gears
When maintaining your e-bike’s chains and gears, there are two things you need to do: cleaning and lubricating.
- Cleaning: To clean your chains and gears properly, you may apply a bicycle degreaser and make sure to clean even the hard-to-reach areas. Also, use a brush to remove any dirt present from the gears and cassette.
- Lubricating: After cleaning and applying the degreaser, it’s time to cover the chains with lubricant. Then, rotate your pedals so that every part of the chain gets lubricated. If there’s excess lube, wipe it off with a clean cloth
Maintaining your fat tire electric bike in perfect condition is a no-brainer. It’ll help keep your outdoor buddy running smoothly without causing headaches, allowing you to have fun during the ride. Therefore, always conduct a thorough checkup before every ride, and if there’s something that gets your attention, address the situation immediately. Remember, prevention is always better than cure. So, follow the tips mentioned above, and you’ll be able to avoid any bad experiences with your fat tire e-bike again.