Do you commute via a bicycle, and carrying the helmet is too cumbersome for you? Commuting by bike is not only healthier but also cleaner and greener.
The only thing you burn are carbs and not fuel. But there is one thing that can be bothersome, the helmet.
Foldable Bike Helmets
That’s where foldable helmets come in! As the name suggests, these helmets fold! This makes them great for tucking away once you’re done riding. Moreover, as you won’t have to strap it to your bike anymore, no one can steal it.
What’s more, most foldable helmets are relatively lighter than other helmets. Just because they’re lightweight doesn’t mean they’re flimsy.
These helmets still offer the safety and protection you get from other helmets. It’s just that they fold, so they’re easy to carry around. With all, finding the right one can be terrifying.
Our Top 5 Picks
Because you have many options to look from, so many features to look at, you don’t know where to look. No worries!
We made your job easier by doing all the hard work for you. We selected some of the best foldable helmets available in the market for you to choose from.
Top Foldable Bike Helmets For Commuters
1. FEND Foldable Bike Helmet
FEND offers you one of the best foldable bike helmets. This exceptional helmet folds up to 50% in size. This makes it the ideal portable bicycle helmet for commuters.
What’s more, this foldable helmet has won numerous awards. Winner of the Red Dot Design Award 2018 and the Edison Award in 2018. So, you know that you’re getting quality stuff with this helmet.
Furthermore, the ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene) shells make them durable and robust. ABS also makes this helmet resistant to high impact and abrasion.
In addition to that, the ultralight PC makes it lightweight without compromising its strength and durability.
Also, The Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) in the inner lining will keep you safe from high impact.
This means that it has passed safety standards for the US and Europe. Hence, making it safe for use as it’ll protect you from injuries caused under the speed of 20mph.
Moreover, FEND offers you a dial system for an accurate and snug fit. You won’t have to worry about this bad boy being flimsy and wonky on your head.
Furthermore, follow the sizing chart on the website for getting the right fit, and you should be good to go. Additionally, FEND cares about your happiness above all. So if you have any concerns, contact them, and they’ll be resolved.
All in all, this is one of the best foldable bike helmets for commuters. This helmet folds by 50% and is highly portable.
The air vents help keep your head cool and sweat-free as you commute. The award-winning design will surely get you compliments while keeping you safe.
2. Closca Bicycle Helmet for Adults
The Closca Foldable Helmet is sure to protect you against any impact. This is what makes it one of the best in the market for commuters. It works just the same as traditional helmets. The one up is that this one is portable due to its foldability. What’s more, the shell is made of fiberglass.
Don’t get alarmed by the “glass.” Fiberglass helmets are exceptionally robust while also being lighter compared to thermoplastic equivalents.
As fiberglass helmets are challenging to make, they will cost more. But the price is totally worth it! As this helmet will last you for a long time.
Furthermore, the ingenious design simply becomes flat. You will have a flat disc of a helmet in less than seconds that’s 55% less in size. Making this helmet ultra-portable and convenient for commuters.
Simply throw it in your bag or backpack once you’re done using it. What’s more, this helmet seamlessly fits the size of your head.
In addition to that, the vents offer excellent air circulation for keeping your head cool and sweat-free. Well, you might not be able to see them, but trust me, this helmet has vents!
Moreover, it’s incredibly lightweight. It’s one of the lightest helmets on the market. The design is quite chic as well. So you get a classy form with excellent functionality in this helmet.
This can even be a lifesaver, as in most accidents, a second can be the difference between life and death. Thus, this feature steps up the safety feature in this helmet.
To put it simply, this helmet is perfect for the commuters out there. It offers you excellent protection while being lightweight and easy to carry.
You can easily fold this helmet flat, and when unfolded, it fits perfectly to the size of your head.
3. Overade Plixi Fit Helmet
Overade’s Plixi Fit Foldable Bicycle helmet is a bit different from the rest of the group. This helmet doesn’t fold flat or in but folds half. Yes!
This foldable helmet folds like a book to a third of its size. This makes it a bit chunky when folded but still leaves plenty of room in your bag. This design makes it one of the most compact-when-folded helmets in the market.
What’s more, the ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene) shell ensures strength and stability. This also means that this helmet is impact, chemical, and abrasive resistant.
Additionally, the EPS inside keeps the helmet cool as it doesn’t conduct heat. Furthermore, EPS makes it strong and sturdy, preventing injuries. Thus, adding to your safety.
In addition to that, the lockable system adds security, while the adjustable fit makes sizing even more convenient. This is because you can adjust the size to fit your head, adding to the overall comfort.
The fourteen vents offer exceptional ventilation. This keeps your head from overheating and/or becoming sweaty. To boot, this helmet complies with the CPSC standards, so you know it’s safe to use.
It will not only protect while commuting on a bicycle but other things as well. Just because it’s for bikes doesn’t mean you can’t use it for other activities. Use it while skating, skateboarding, kick biking, etc. Also, the many color options allow you to pick one that you like.
What’s more, you can even customize your helmet with accessories (sold separately). Like you can get a visor to protect your eyes from sun or rain as you bike. You can also remove it effortlessly. They also offer a cover for the helmet.
As there are vents, rain can seep in. With this cover, your hair will stay dry. Also, the reflective stickers are an excellent addition for nighttime riding as they’ll make you visible to drivers.
In short, Plixi is one of the best foldable bike helmets for commuters even in 2022. This helmet is CPSC certified and folds to a third of its size.
The fourteen vents help keep your head “cool.” As this helmet comes in various colors, you can choose the hue you like best and go commuting in style.
4. 174 Hudson Stack Helmet
Without a doubt, this is one of the best foldable helmets for commuters. Even Amazon labels it “Amazon’s Choice.”
This helmet comes in four outstanding color combinations. Seafoam and red, white and charcoal, onyx and grey, and lastly, grey and high-vis neon. All of which are classy and chic looking. Who said you couldn’t be safe in style?
Talking about foldability, this helmet folds to 50% of its size and weighs only 330g. This makes this compact helmet highly portable. You can easily fold it down in seconds and put it in your bag after use.
What’s more, the air vents help you stay cool and free from precipitation. This is a key feature as commuting on a bike can easily have you get warmed up.
Another crucial thing that you cannot forget while looking for a helmet is certification.
Hence, you can wear this while commuting as well as biking, skating, etc. The possibilities are endless with this helmet.
Sizing is also very essential. Make sure to get the correct size if you want to get a comfortable experience. This helmet comes in two sizes.
The medium fits people with a head circumference of 56-59 cm. At the same time, the large size fits people with a head circumference of 60-63cm.
Simply put, the 174Hudson is an excellent collapsible helmet for commuters. It easily flattens to half its size in mere seconds. As it folds flat, you can store it away in a backpack, tote, or even a briefcase.
The vents allow for air to flow, so your head doesn’t get hot from exertion. Moreover, it’s certified for both the US and Europe, so you know it’s safe for use.
5. Closca Helmet Loop
Closca is a top-tier company when talking about helmets. That’s why it makes it to the list for “best foldable bike helmets for commuters” again.
The Closca Helmet Loop is sleek and stylish. It comes in 3 basic colors for the front and 5 colors for the back. Closca also gives you the flexibility to customize these colors according to your preference. So, you can ride in style.
What’s more, this collapsible bicycle helmet covers the sensitive parts of your head. Thus, if you ever happen to get in an accident, this helmet will keep you safe.
In addition to that, Closca Loop companies to the safety standards of both the US (CPSC) and Europe (EN1078). Rest assured because the experts have labeled it safe for you.
Furthermore, this unisex helmet reduces to 45% of its original size in mere seconds. This adds to its portability, and you can tuck it away when not in use.
Moreover, you won’t even notice that it’s there due to its lightweight. The aerodynamic design not only gives it aesthetic appeal but also makes it streamlined.
This helmet also offers you a comfortable experience. The air vents allow for ample air to flow in and out. This keeps you cool and free from sweat even while commuting in the summer.
The elastic band at the back of the helmet allows for a snug fit. This makes the foldable helmet fit seamlessly to your head.
What’s more, this new model is more aerodynamic than its predecessor and also less expensive. All in all, you get Closca’s functionality and safety at a much more reasonable price.
In conclusion, this helmet offers safety as well as style. It folds by 45% in size in mere seconds. You can simply put it away in your bag when not in use. What’s more, this design is aerodynamic and lightweight and can be adjusted to fit your head shape.
Why it is Important to Wear a Bicycle Helmet
Helmets are a safety measure all bikers need for safety. Each year about 800 bikers are killed and 500,000 severely injured that they end up in the ER.
Now I’m not saying the helmets are a super shield that makes you immortal. But wearing a bike helmet reduces the risk of head injuries by an astonishing 85%. This means that helmets can be lifesavers in case of serious injuries.
What’s more, wearing a helmet is mandatory by law. In some states, it’s illegal to ride a bike without a helmet. Even so, carrying the helmet around can be a hassle.
What to Look for When Buying a Foldable Bicycle Helmet
When buying anything, you don’t just jump right into it without thinking. You should never buy the first product you see. To end up with the best foldable bicycle helmet, you need to consider the following factors.
Just because bicycle helmets are for safety, it doesn’t mean that they have to be uncomfortable. This is why you need to make sure that the helmet is neither tight nor loose. Moreover, the straps should have some coverage as well. Otherwise, they’ll be a pain while sitting on our chin raw.
If it sits too tight on your head, it will cause pain in the head. On the other hand, if the helmet is too loose, it won’t offer the security that it needs. Like if you were to get in an accident, a loose helmet won’t provide as much safety as a snug-fitting one will.
Hence, make sure to check the size of the helmet before purchase. If you’re buying it online, follow the sizing guidelines. Either on Amazon or the official website of the brand. Measure your head’s circumference and check the sizing and then buy your helmet accordingly.
Certification is something you should never skip when buying a bicycle helmet. Helmets aren’t accessories that come with your bike. They are safety tools to protect you in case of any accidents. That’s why your helmets need to be certified.
If you live in the US, then make sure that the helmet you’re buying is approved by the Consumer Product Safety Commission or CPSC for short. While if you live in Europe, check if the item is EN1078 certified. This specifies and tests the safety of helmets.
If you look at bicycle helmets, you will notice that most of them have holes. This isn’t just a design element but is needed for ventilation. If there isn’t proper ventilation, your head will get sweaty and hot. That’s why when you’re buying a foldable bike helmet, make sure that it has a ventilation system.
Foldable bicycle helmets are an invention we didn’t know we needed. Their foldability makes them easy to carry, so you don’t have to go around with a helmet as an accessory. But the size that they fold to is very important.
There are numerous foldable helmets in the market, all with different sizes when folded. Some fold only by 30%, while some collapse to half their size (50%). Hence, buy the helmet that fits your space requirements.
There are many foldable helmets available at various price ranges. These offer safety and great foldability. You can get a basic foldable helmet without breaking the bank. But if you want extra features, then you will have to invest some money into it.
Nonetheless, you should have a budget in mind. Don’t opt for the cheapest one available. Also, the priciest doesn’t mean the best.
Also, make sure to check other features like comfort, certification, etc., and not just the price. In short, don’t buy a foldable helmet just like that. You need to look into the above feature to know that the helmet will do you justice.
Don’t break your bank for it, but some extra money spent for safety is a good investment. That’s if the helmet offers excellent ventilation, comfort, foldability and is certified.
Are foldable helmets safe?
Foldable helmets are very much safe. They’re constructed using the same material with which conventional helmets are made.
Furthermore, just because they’re foldable doesn’t mean that these helmets aren’t CPSC and EN1078 certified. Foldable helmets will keep you safe from a head injury at a speed under 20mph.
Can you use foldable helmets for activities other than riding a bicycle?
Just because they have the word “bicycle” in the name doesn’t mean these helmets are only for riding bikes. You can wear this helmet for all activities that require a helmet, like skating, skateboarding, and e-biking.
Just make sure that the activity doesn’t exceed a speed of more than 20mph. That’s the speed limit for the protection offered by these helmets.
To Sum it Up
Helmets are a piece of essential safety equipment for people who commute via bicycles. Wearing a helmet reduces the chances of damage from head injuries by 85%. But most helmets can be very bulky and a nuisance to carry around.
That’s why we have foldable helmets. These helmets offer the same protection as other helmets do. The only difference is that you can fold them for easy portability.
FEND Foldable Bike Helmet is an award-winning helmet that is verified in the US and in Europe. The vents also allow for ample airflow to keep your head cool and sweat-free.
Overade Plixi Fit Foldable Bicycle Helmet is CPSC certified, making it safe to use in the US. What’s more, this helmet folds to a third of its size, making it the most compact foldable helmet.
174 Hudson Stack Helmet folds by 50% in size when collapsed, saving you a lot of space. This helmet is CPSC and EN1078 certified, making it safe for use.
In conclusion, these are some of the best foldable bike helmets that commuters can use for safety.
These helmets aren’t just safe but stylish as well. What’s more, all three of these collapsible helmets are safety verified. Hence, you can rest assured about your well-being commuting on your bicycle.
If these weren’t enough, take a look at these helmets from Amazon also:
- ★🎁SAFETY AND COMFORT: 🎅This adult helmet complies with CPSC Standards.Built for both comfort and impact resistance with reinforced ABS shell and thickened EPS...
- ★🎁DOUBLE ADJUSTMENT:🎅 Well-attached and long-lasting adjustment dial and skin-friendly adjustable chin strap maxmize the best fit and comfortable wearing. This...
- ★🎁BREATHABLE AND COOL:🎅 The adult helmet have 12 Vents for increased airflow,keep cool and comfortable. Suit for aged 14 and over.
- ★🎁PERFECT FOR MULTI-SPORTS: 🎅Our adult helemt provide professional protection for skateboard,skating,cycling,biking,riding,scooter,balance bike,bicycle,ski...
- ★🎁ADJUSTABLE SYSTEM: 🎅Integrated dial fit system for precise adjustment.Adjust the strap and side buckle when feeling too tight or too loose,and make you wear...
- Safety:Equip with 3 modes Helmet Led Rear light for safety(Always On,Fast Flash,Slow Flash)
- Ultra Lightweight for Comfortable; Only 0.49lb In-Mold polycarbonate shell with EPS liner,It very comfortable to wear
- Ample Ventilation; 24 Vents keep Ample Ventilation for ultimate temperature regulation and reducing resistance
- Adjustable dial to customize fit; Fits head sizes(M/L) 54-59cm,(L/XL)59-63cm
- Portable Helmet Bag and Visor;Come with Visor and Protected from sun, while The portable Helmet backpack is convenient for you carry it
- The Schwinn Thrasher lightweight helmet is designed for adults; suggested age range: 14 years old and up; suggested head circumference: 22. 88 to 24. 5 inches
- Full Schwinn 360° Comfort featuring an adjustable dial fit knob and full-range padding for the perfect custom fit.
- Two microshell layers and full-coverage EPS foam construction provides lightweight durability
- Easy-adjust dial system provides a custom fit with a twist of the dial, Adjustable side straps allow you to fine tune fit and comfort and detachable visor helps reduce...
- Complies with U.S. CPSC Safety Standard for Bicycle Helmets for Persons Age 5 and Older
- MARKET-LEADING PROTECTION: Engineered in Giro’s category-leading helmet test lab.
- INTEGRATED MIPS: Utilizes the Multi-Directional Impact Protection System to redirect energy in a crash.
- VENTILATION: 18 Wind Tunnel vents with internal channeling.
- RUGGED: In-molding construction.
- UNIVERSAL FIT SIZING: Get the right fit, straight out of the box.
- DURABLE - Built for both comfort and impact resistance with REINFORCED ABS SHELL & THICKENED SHOCK-ABSORBING EPS CORE.
- EXTRA REMOVABLE LINING - Skateboard helmet with two removable liner for different head sizes and easy to wash the sweat away.
- A HELMET for MULTI-SPORT - Smooth Venlitation System helps to protect and enjoy SKATING, CYCLING, BMX, MTB and etc.
- DOUBLE ADJUSTMENT - Well-attached & long-lasting adjustment dial and skin-friendly adjustable chin strap maxmize the best fit and comfortable wearing.
- HOW TO MEASURE A PROPER HELMET? - To find the right size bike helmet, start by measuring your head circumference, wrap a flexible tape measure around the largest portion...
- The bicycle helmet is made of strong PC shell and high quality EPS foam, providing more safety with the integrated-moulding technology.
- Size L is 56-61 cm (22-24 inch), suitable for adult, men, women. Size M is 54-58 cm (21.2-22.8 inch), suitable for youth, teen, kids. Chin straps and rear dial adjustment...
- Designed for various mountain biking activities, especially for enduro and trail. By detaching the visor, it is suitable for road bike in city and urban.
- Lightweight material and 16 vents keep user cool. Soft inner pads, chin straps and chin pad provide more comfortable user experience.
- Detachable visor is easy to remove and install. Package includes 1 helmet & 1 carrying bag.
- FASHION URBAN STYLE - Built for urban riders and commuters. Fit for men and women.
- DUAL CERTIFIED - Meet US & EU safety standards.
- LIGHTWEIGHT & BREATHABLE - Built using integrated construction to reduce weight. Integrated polycarbonate shell with EPS liner enhancing durability. 8 large vents offer...
- SIZE ADJUSTMENT SYSTEM - This bike helmet suitable for most adults head circumference. M size (21.7-22.8inch / 55-58cm) , L size (23.2-24inch / 59-61cm)
- SAFETY REAR LIGHT - Rechargeable USB rear light with 3 lighting options. Fully charged in 2 hours. Last for about 6-8 hours.
- Top Quality Bike Helmet - High-density imported PC case with in mold technology will surely improve safe performance. Helmet with durable hard shell, soft pad can absorb...
- Cyclling Helmet with LED Lights - Bright Taillight, LED Safety Light, 6 LED Bulb with 4 lighting modes - fast flashing, slow flashing, steady, it will help people behind...
- Bicycle Comfortable Helmet for Men & Womens - This helmet designed with 23 vents, special aerodynamic design and breathable foam, effectively reduce air resistance and...
- Adjustable Mountain bike helmet - Specialized Bike Helmet Suitable for head circumference: 56--61cm (22"-25") men/women with the easy-use system and side straps make this...
- Multi-Sport Helmet - SHINE FUTURE bike helmet suitable for city, road, electric, trek, mountain bike, This helmet is specially designed for adults both men and women...
- 【ADVANCED PERFORMANCE】 - PATHLANE's commuter bike helmet adopt In-mold construction technology,which permanently fuses tough PC outer shell to the EPS foam liner to...
- 【PREFECT FIT】The bicycle helmet is design for city commuters. Adjusts in seconds with adjustable dial system at the back of the helmet with one hand for a tighter and...
- 【PROTECTION FORM SUN AND RAIN】The commuter helmet have a removable visor, which can be prevent direct sunlight from hitting the eyes in the scorching sun, and prevent...
- 【KEEPING COOL】- The bike helmet is ventilated designed according to aerodynamics. 10 large ventilation holes provide excellent airflow in the head. Keep you cool and...
- 【SAFE IN NIGHT】- The urban bike helmet is equiped with rechargable rear light provide the highest and best possible protection and visibility at night bicyling. 3...
- COMMUTING AND ROAD: All-around protection for everyday use; Multipurpose helmet designed for road cycling, from weekend rides to the daily commute
- PROTECTIVE TECHNOLOGY: Optimized-density EPS liner for crash protection; Patent pending silicone pad technology system, SPIN (Shearing Pad Inside), uses innovative...
- STREAMLINED DESIGN: Slim profile for a clean aesthetic; Lightweight and breathable construction for comfort and functionality on longer rides
- ADJUSTABLE FIT: Lightweight 360° size adjustment system inside the helmet allows you to fine-tune the fit; One-handed dial for quick and easy adjusting
- SUPERIOR COMFORT: Easily adjustable precision straps are molded into the helmet liner for added safety; Extra comfort for longer rides