Cycling is a great activity that one can do for fun or economic purposes. It will relax your body, helping you to burn calories that you have accumulated in your body.
If you do not like doing other activities like football, volleyball, basketball, or going to the GYM, then you need an activity that will keep your body fit, and that will be riding a bike.
Fitness helps in preventing diseases such as high blood pressure. While keeping fit, you should be safe at all times. Riding a mountain bike can result in injuries on your head when you have an accident. It is, therefore, a wise decision that you take a high-quality helmet with you when going for your riding.
Note that not all available helmets in the market are durable. Some of them will just break when you have an accident thus exposing your head to more danger.
Things to Consider when Buying the Best Mountain Bike Helmets
Before deciding on which one to pick, it is good to consider some factors which I have listed below. The following factors should be put into consideration when buying a helmet.
The main purpose of getting a helmet is for protection. For that reason, you should get a protector that meets all the standards. This certification should be put in place, and if the helmet you are planning to purchase does not have it, it will be wise to go for another one.
Certifications vary depending on countries. For example, in the US, helmets must be CPSC-approved; in Australia it is AS/NZS; in Europe, it is the CE sticker you are looking for.
Ventilation is very important in a helmet. When cycling for a long distance, your head will obviously sweat a lot.
If the helmet you have does not have enough ventilation on it, you may be tempted to remove it when you sweat a lot exposing yourself to danger. To avoid all these, always ensure the one you are purchasing has more ventilation.
A good helmet is the one that fits comfortably on your head. Always ensure you put the size of your head into consideration when purchasing a helmet.
Loose helmets on your head may fall off when you are riding exposing you to more danger. Know your head size by taking measurements using a tape measure just above your ears.
A good helmet is the one which you can adjust accordingly depending on the size of your head and how tight or loose you want it. Always check for adjustment capabilities of helmets when buying one.
Recommended Best Mountain Bike Helmets
The following are the best Helmets, which I have recommended for your mountain bike use. I did my research very well and came up with the list. Enjoy reading.
1. Schwinn Thrasher Adult Micro Bicycle black/gray Helmet Adult
I will begin with this exciting helmet which comes in black and gray color.
It is such a great consideration you should put on your list of preferences for adults.
The helmet fits a head size of 22 7/8 to 24. If your head size is in this range, then this is perfect for you. The helmet has an attractive appearance as it comes in different colors of gray and black.
The helmet has 21 integrated flow vents to keep the rider with the free circulation of air. This avoids sweating of the head. Also, it has moisture-wicking pads to aid in keeping your head cool and dry.
The helmet has a visor which protects the eye while riding by increasing shade. Your eyes are ever protected with this helmet.
While using this helmet, you can adjust to fit you perfectly using the provided easy-to-adjust webbings. This will ensure a comfortable fit.
The helmet weighs only 0.9 pounds. This is very light on your head making it suitable for use when cycling for long distances. These features make this helmet a great choice for anyone looking for the best mountain bike for an adult.
2. Giro Revel Helmet – Women’s
Another helmet in my selection of the best mountain bike helmets is here.
It is amazing as it is unisex adults with exciting features as discussed below.
The helmet covers all your head without leaving a single part. It thus offers maximum protection to your head in case of any accidents.
Snap Fit Visor
The visor is incorporated in the helmet and reinforced with anchor points. This provides eye protection as well as additional shade to your eye, protecting it from excessive sunlight.
Reflective Rear Decal
It has a reflective surface which ensures your safety on the road by alerting other users of your presence especially at night or when the visibility is poor during the day.
It is designed with an in-mold polycarbonate shell with EPS liner on the inside ensuring that all the shock is absorbed when you have an accident.
Acu Dial Fit System
The helmet comes with a fit system which ensures that your helmet is tightly fitted to your head while riding. This prevents the possibility of the helmet falling away when you are cycling in a windy place.
3. Troy Lee Designs A-1 Helmet
Here is another mountain bike helmet that is specifically recommended for all mountains cross country users.
It fits well in anyone’s head, so head size is not an issue here.
It is made of plastic to give it a lightweight when you put it on. The plastic is that durable, you do not need to worry about it getting breakage when it falls.
It is lined with shell polycarbonate material with EPS from giving it a shock resistant feature. Your safety is guaranteed with this type of helmet.
The helmet has 16 vents which provide enough air circulation to the head when cycling. The vents help avoid excessive sweating when riding for long distance.
The fit adjustment is made in such a way that it locks when you tighten it using a cam-lock stabilizer. This enhances more fitting on the head, and less worry about the helmet falling when blown by strong winds when cycling in a windy environment.
What makes it different from other helmets discussed above is the usability. This helmet is recommended for use by all mountains cross country riders making it outstanding.
4. Giro Hex Mountain Bike Helmet
If you love riding for long hours like 4-5 hours in varying environmental conditions, then this is the best helmet to get.
It has excellent features for long distance cyclists.
Performance is not compromised in the design of this helmet. Apart from just covering your head when cycling, you will as if it is giving you extra power to keep cycling for a long distance without getting tired.
Just like the above-discussed helmets, this one also possesses a fit system. The only exceptional mechanism about it is that it has a Roc Loc 5 fit system for maximum fitting onto your head.
You will incur no shock in your head with this helmet. This is so because it is fully wrapped with in-mold polycarbonate shell with EPS liner
Ventilation has been maximized. It has a seventeen wind tunnel vents which have internal channeling ventilation for maximum ventilation of the head area.
It comes with a P.O.V. adjustable visor which has a 15° vertical adjustment. Unlike the other helmets discussed above, this inclination is a great improvement in its design.
5. Fox Head Flux Helmet
Lastly, I want to present to you Fox Head Flux Helmet, which is also among the best mountain bike helmets I came across while making my selection.
It is robust and durable and has the following features.
Ventilation is greatly enhanced here. The helmet has 20 large vents for maximum air circulation and temperature control.
Deep rear profile
The helmet has a deep rear profile for additional coverage. Your head will, therefore, be fully covered when you get this helmet for your cycling activities.
It fits perfectly on any head size. This is because it comes with a Detox retention system that dials to perfectly fit your head comfortably.
The helmet meets all the certifications I had mentioned earlier under the factors to consider when buying the best mountain bike helmet, which is CPSC, CE: en 1078, AS/NZS 2073.
The helmet is suited for all-mountain coverage. It is thus ideal for use in any cycling activity you can think of.
As I conclude this review, I hope that you have gained enough knowledge to enable you to get at least one of the best mountain bike helmets I have discussed above.
It is my assumption that you are now more knowledgeable than before. The factors to consider when buying a helmet are very important and should not be taken for granted.
You must have noticed that the best helmets I selected met all the considerations discussed above. Finally, I would advise you to take your time and revisit these products before deciding which one to purchase.
I wish you well in your search for the best mountain bike helmet.
Check out some other helmets from Amazon also:
- Material & Safety Certified - This unisex bicycle helmet is made of high-density imported EPS and PC materials for all kinds of road mountain and commuter bikes in the...
- Get Perfect Fit - To get the perfect fit, adjust the rear dial fit system on your bicycle helmet. This mountain bike helmet is adjustable from 22.83 to 24.02 inches or 58...
- Bicycle Lock & Rear LED Light - This is a safe and affordable bicycle helmet that is perfect for both men and women. The included bicycle helmet lock will help keep your...
- Lightweight & Ventilation - This bike helmet is perfect for men and women who enjoy a variety of road and mountain biking activities, as it is made with lightweight...
- Comfort & Vehicle Type - The helmet's soft, thick foam lining and adjustable chin strap or chin pad make for a more comfortable riding experience. If you remove the visor...
- Mips equipped –MIPS stands for multi-directional impact protection system, which is a leading slip-plane technology inside the helmet designed to reduce rotational...
- Fusion in-mold construction – a process pioneered by Bell that bonds the Helmet’s outer shell to the EPS foam liner to create a sturdier helmet.
- Coverage – extended rear coverage for additional protection while you ride.
- Fit system – lightweight fit system with an easy turn dial allows for a comfortable fit.
- Compliance – Complies with the U.S. CPSC Safety Standard for Bicycle Helmets for Persons Age 5 and Older.
- SAFETY - This GROTTICO bike helmet meets US & EU cycling standards.
- ADJUSTABLE DIAL & STRAPS - The adjustable fit system for men and women. 2 sizes for choice, suggested head circumference: M (55-58CM), L (59-61CM)
- INTEGRATED SAFETY REAR LIGHT - Bicycle helmet with USB rechargeable light. Best for night riding with 3 lighting modes, Steady, Flash and Wave.
- TOUGH & LIGHTWEIGHT - In-mold construction fuses a tough polycarbonate outer shell with the impact-absorbing foam liner. The fusion process makes in-mold helmets lighter...
- KEEP YOUR HEAD COOL - 23 vents keep ample ventilation. Provide one more set of helmet replacement inner pads and two different color visors to collocation.
- A trail-dedicated helmet for everything from freeride to enduro; Features more coverage at the temples and back of head, adjustable visor and goggle clip
- Integrated RECCO reflector uses radar so you can be quickly located and helped if you get injured; Used and trusted by rescue services around the world
- Features POC’s patent-pending silicone pad technology system, SPIN (Shearing Pad Inside), that uses innovative materials and design to complement POC's whole-helmet...
- Weighs under 1 lb; 360° size and strap adjustment system provides a precise, secure and comfortable fit; Unique airflow channels help keep you cool, even on hot summer...
- Features a high-performance unibody PC shell, a reinforced EPS liner and an aramid bridge that improve the strength and protection of the helmet while keeping it...
- 【RELIABLE SECURITY】 The helmets for adults uses advanced integrated molding technology to tightly combine sturdy matte PC shell with thickened impact-resistant EPS...
- 【360° PROTECTION】The full-coverage design of this mountain bike helmet provides a higher level of all-around protection for the head, including the back. Suitable...
- 【EXCELLENT VENTILATION】18 vents create a perfect air circulation system for this womens and mens bike helmet which help to keep your head cool and comfortable at all...
- 【ADJUSTABLE & LIGHTWEIGHT】With the knob on the back of this bicycle helmet and the soft chin strap, you can easily find your most comfortable state. No neck fatigue...
- 【COOL VISOR】The removable visor will protects your eyes from direct sunlight and the skin of the face from being scratched by tree branches while not blocking the...
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION: Rowan Mountain Bike Helmet has you covered when the trails get tricky with a dense EPS foam interior that effectively absorbs impact energy to help...
- BREATHABLE DESIGN: The Rowan is equipped with 14 large vents that will keep you cool and comfortable during those strenuous mountain rides. The lightweight in-mold...
- WASHABLE PADDING: The interior padding was designed to absorb sweat and keep you focused while out on a tough mountain climb. Remove and wash the padding after every ride...
- ADJUSTABLE FIT: Helmet sizing is adjustable with an ErgoKnob dial that allows you to quickly dial in the most comfortable, snug fit for your head.
- REMOVABLE VISOR: Keep your sights set on the trails and the sun out of your eyes with Rowan's adjustable and removable visor.